[Owasp-codereview] Code Review Guide: Update

Marco M. Morana marco.m.morana at gmail.com
Thu May 29 07:56:52 EDT 2008

Paolo

I think there is certainly a need for vulnerability categorization; I would
say taxonomy of threats and vulnerabilities. The main driver for such
categorization supporting a security finding analysis from my point should
be the root causes, the risks and the remediation effort. For example you
can categorize vulnerabilities as root causes (source code, configuration
management etc) as well as the security control that mitigate the
threat-vulnerability (for example the application security frame). I have
elaborated some thought on the taxonomy on my blog in the past; you are
welcome to take a look.

On the scoring and the metrics for source code analysis I think we need to
rationalize the objectives of the metrics first. IMHO you need something
that quantifies the effort to remediate as related to the severity of the
issue. The severity is driven by the risk analysis (you can take the testing
guide likehood x exposure factors). Source complexity metrics such as LOCs,
FP, Ciyclomatic helps quantify the effort in source code analysis etc but I
think profiling tools for this already exists. Probably we can leverage a
free one? What is missing is a tool that helps to prioritize the effort for
remediation such as correlating the root cause from categorization (code,
design, configuration) code complexity metrics (how many LOC I need to
fix?), and the issue and the severity of the issue (which issues I should
tackle first? Probably the ones with higher risk and with least effort and
limited scope to be fixed). The issue categorization in this case should
drive the countermeasure not the threat analysis so I advocate the security
framework being more suitable for this taxonomy.

I am interested what your take on this...I would happy to elaborate more in
the details

Ciao

Marco Morana
OWASP Cincinnati Chapter Leader