[Owasp-codereview] Code Review Guide: Update

Paolo Perego thesp0nge at gmail.com
Thu May 29 06:02:50 EDT 2008

Sure I'll do. Also with Dinis in Ghent we made the parallelism "ESAPI
project is the software adverse party to Owasp Top 10 guide" and
"Orizon is the software adverse party to Owasp CR Guide"

I'll keep myself in charge also in these two things:
a) creating a category list in order to describe the security checks a
CR tool or a Code reviewer needs to check. Something like
   O_CR_1: Input validation
       O_CR_1_1: XSS
            O_CR_1_1_1: On a Java servlet perform input validation
over doGet() method
       O_CR_1_2: Sql Injection
And things like this. Of course this "Top 10" is really live and it
will grow in the time. I think it would be usefull when evaluating a
CR tool, just to say "Ok i'll use this one because it performs 20
checks out of the 40 described in the code review guide"

Of course this will be used also in Orizon project to be the official
owasp security check library

b) helping you Eoin to formalize somemetrics in order to score a
source file when performing a code review. We can use the
aformentioned list in order to assign a score to a source on the basis
of how many "category checks" it fails. This will try to answer the
question "how much is secure this piece of code".

I'll put on the wiki my ideas ASAP. Of course people... I need your help :)

Claim: Two s3xy guides, is better than one.

Ciao ciao
thesp0nge

--
Owasp Orizon leader