[Owasp-codereview] [Owasp-ireland] Potential of 4.2 million credit card details stolen via cyber attack.

David Ryan dave.ryan at gmail.com
Tue Mar 25 13:35:56 EDT 2008

Reasonable room for doubt at the moment, due to flaky details.  However,
their statement would negate Requirement 3 failure (if accepted at face
value = during transmission):

[The Reg] "The stolen data was limited to credit and debit card numbers and
expiration dates, and was illegally accessed from our computer systems
during transmission of card authorisation," Hannaford chief exec Ron Hodge
said in an open letter to customers
posted<http://www.hannaford.com/Contents/News_Events/News/News.shtml>on
the grocer's website. [/The Reg]

Plenty of room for failure in the other ones you mentioned. I guess a the
crux of this could be: Perhaps they were rated as compliant during an audit,
but their controls fell by the wayside afterwards. Who knows ... speculation
is distracting, where's my day gone ;-)

On 25/03/2008, Andrew van der Stock <vanderaj at owasp.org> wrote:

> I really doubt that Hannaford was PCI DSS compliant:
>
> * Requirement 3 - Protect Card Holder Data. Losing 4.2 million records
> requires failing Section 3.1 "Keep cardholder data to a
> minimum" (basically ditch the PAN and expiry as soon as you're done
> with them), and Section 3.4 "Render PAN, unreadable anywhere where it
> is stored". FAIL.

* Requirement 6 - Section 6.1, keeping up with patches. I don't know