[Owasp-codereview] How is code reviewing in the world?

Jim Manico jim at manico.net
Thu Feb 22 14:54:01 EST 2007

*How is code review approached from customers outside Italy?
*
 From the customer side - it's expensive. It doesn't "give" you
something, it's more like insurance. Or, the customer is being forced to
do it due to compliance or a failed audit. It's never a pretty scene.

*People *feels* the need that a security consultant can help them
reviewing their code?
*
Scarry. A security pro simply cannot do a code review. You need a
developer with security awareness and app security experience in the
trenches. And thats just the bare minimum skills needed to even get
started.*

Customers are aware that a code review team can give them some help
during software development lifecycle improving their applications'
security?
*
Code review is mostly OUTSIDE of the SDL; usually the code review audit
team will make SDL recommendations - but these recommendations and
coming from "outside the circle" of the SDL as external consultants.
It's not easy to make serious SDL changes unless you get some serious
management backing. Developers are like cats always going off in their
own directions....

*How is the world wide marketplace?*

I dunno, but most of my clients want this very cheaply, and I think code
review (manual review with a tool) is very, very expensive when done
right (it requires a team....)

*Have you got some experience in doing pre  sales meeting proposing code
review? How is the customer feels about this?

*I give my clients the process breakdown, try to get a number of lines
of code so I can bid with the fortify workbench (reviewing other tools
now), and in general get the scope on a paper signed contract before I
start. You want pen testing with your code review? You want
teaching/training with your code review? Want more serious network
assessment? I can always bring in a bigger team.... (then i just call my
friends)

The customer is usually very happy about indepth pre-sales review.

Best,
Jim
*
*