[Owasp-cincinnati] RSVP For Tomorrow Meeting (Will Smith) and questions Ed broughtup.

Smith, William william.smith at westernsouthernlife.com
Tue Sep 8 13:44:37 EDT 2009

It is pretty typical that people don't respond to massages about poor
attendance. I think it's a psychological thing. Anyway, I was not able
to attend last week because I was out of town in Massachusetts. While I
did find the topic something of interest, I didn't think it cost
effective to fly to Cincinnati for an hour meeting and fly back.

Special note: summers are notorious for poor attendance.

So, Ed, to your questions:

1) maybe a mix of evening and afternoon meetings would be better. I know
that lunch is better for me, but may not be for others. The question
would then arise as to if the location would accommodate a 6pm time. Or
if 6pm is good, what with rush hour and all. It's at least worth
discussion.

As for OWASP meeting topics, some of the ones I have attended have been
useful on the programming level, and some at the security profession
level. Maybe Marco could add a "target audience" to the announcement to
help clarify who the topic is geared for. That might help you prioritize
which meetings you should attend. Just a suggestion.

2) As an auditor, I have to ask the same question you are... How do you
create a process in the SDLC that includes security as a component? One
place that to start is the education of programmers in secure
programming practices. Most security articles and training is focused on
reverse engineering, i.e. try to break the code, fix it, try to break it
again. There are some SANS classes on secure programming but these are
expensive on a tight budget.

There are a few tidbits to garner about the subject reading the OWASP
Wiki. There are also tools on the Wiki you can use to try and do the
reverse engineering stuff on your web program. Learning how to use them
is a hurtle but, once you do,  it is a process you can insert into your
SDLC. Plan, Code, Test (functions and security) and recode if necessary,
QA, Publish. That is pretty much the (Secure)SDLC model in a nut-shell.
What usually gets missed is security, unless it is a specific security
function you are testing. The idea of secure programming tests is
testing outside the box; what can you do that isn't designed? It
increases the time in test, but your end result is much more secure. If
you have a security team members who are good at using exploitation
tools, you can involve them in the SDLC to cut down on time and/or
decrease the amount of exploits in your final product.

So far, I haven't seen any company do an (S)SDLC effectively with every
project. In project management, you have the triangle of Cost, Resources
and Time. Adding in the security test component usually increases time,
probably increases cost, and definitely requires more skilled resources.
So when Gary McGraw said "kick the developers ass" he really needed to
say "kick the sponsor ass and get the time, money and resources to do it
properly". Yes, many developers are all to often lazy or ignorant of the
risks, but it's the sponsors of the project who really need to
understand that 1) security is needed 2) security is going to cost more
in time, money and resources and 3) if we don't do it right, we will
just have to do it again later and lose the company money, at best, and
reputation ,at worst.

For some input (if you haven't seen this yet)
http://www.sans.org/top25errors/#s4 list 25 of the most dangerous errors
in programming. It's at least a start.

Another item is
http://www.safecode.org/publications/SAFECode_Dev_Practices1108.pdf
published last year which has some good information as well.

I hope this helps.

Will Smith, CISA, Advanced Internal Auditor Western & Southern Financial
Group, Internal Audit
O:  (513) 362-8371   Fax:  (513) 362-8333

End of Owasp-cincinnati Digest, Vol 23, Issue 1