[Owasp-cincinnati] RSVP For Tomorrow Meeting

Edward Sumerfield esumerfd at bitbashers.org
Mon Sep 7 16:58:24 EDT 2009

Since no one is speaking up about your attendance concerns perhaps I
could offer a perspective.

I am a software developer who is very interested in the prospect of
improving how we integrate security in the products we build. To that
end I am able to monitor this list, try to understand the issues at
hand and the attend meetings when I can.

1)  The meeting time is the biggest problem. Being able to allocate
drive time, meeting time and eating time in the middle of the day is
close to impossible. The meetings I have attended were at times when
my clients were located just around the corner from you but in most
cases, I can expect a 15 to 20 minute drive before and after the
meeting.

I attend 3 or 4 other user group meetings a month that meet around the
6pm time frame. For me, planning evenings is easier than lunch times.
Certainly, I understand that this must very greatly for your audience.

2) Meeting content doesn't address, in a practical way, what software
developers need to do to improve. Instead, the focus appears to be on
the security professional and the processes that can be used within an
organization.

This may, of coarse, be intentional, and I am just not the target
audience of OWASP. However, what I would like to achieve, by
attending, is to find a way to include security into the SDLC to
augment what I do.

This blog entry reflects some of my thinking the subject and why it is
unlikely that I will become better at securing the products I build.

    http://esumerfield.blogspot.com/2009/06/security-and-quality-through-testing-or.html

There is a fundamental misunderstanding about how our industry can
address these issues. The best illustration of this came from a talk
Gary McGraw gave at NKU a few years ago. I asked the question, "How
can I, a tech lead on a project, improve the security of the software
that my team produces?". His answer, "kick the developers ass". It got
some laughs but, from my perspective, this appears to reflect the
general attitude that security professionals have towards software
developers.

I wish I had a better answer or even a better question. Maybe if I
could make it to a few more meetings everything would become clear :-)

Ed Sumerfield
http://www.edsumerfieldconsulting.com