[Owasp-cincinnati] Attack Recovery

John Askew jaskew at sdgsecure.com
Wed Jun 24 23:48:36 EDT 2009

Hi Ed,

Terry and Marco already gave some good suggestions, so I'll just add a few things. I would agree that a flat IP blacklist is probably not the best option here, although the best solution will depend on the details of the situation, and will probably involve multiple layers. At the network level, a combination of traditional IPS blacklisting and reputation-based filtering might be able to filter out a significant bit of the noise, depending on the client's current network hardware and where the traffic is coming from. If these hits are adversely affecting an application's performance or availability, then you might consider a caching reverse proxy to offload some of the weight from the application server. If web application vulnerabilities are a concern, then a WAF like mod_security with a well-constructed whitelist (see mod_profiler) may be able to provide some assurance.

Also, if you are interested in assistance, feel free to contact me. I represent a local company that specializes in network and application security services for southern Ohio and KY.

Thanks,

John Askew
Senior Security Analyst
Systems Design Group, Inc.