[Owasp-cincinnati] Attack Recovery

Marco M. Morana marco.m.morana at gmail.com
Wed Jun 24 22:13:48 EDT 2009

Ed

can you explain better what you mean for:  "they are all attacks usual smattering of language and framework probe urls" ..

is this a bandwitdth attack like iFrame DDoS? I would think IP filtering of that amount of IPs is possible but is not the only defense of DDoS (*), you need to apply defense in depth at both network and application layer. At the network layer you can routing traffic to other servers, use DPI/packet dropping, set routers defenses like Ciso IOS, set Intrusion Prevention Systems defenses etc.  On the application it depends on what you can do with the web pages on the site, can you overload the web server with mutliple requests to visit web pages, do these have large images etc...

Hope you have some DDoS security expert reply to this post, I am not, sorry...hope this is usueful

Regards

Marco

(*)
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Denial-of-service_attack