[OWASP-cheat-sheets] OWASP Cheat Sheets Question - Password Hashing

Jim Manico jim.manico at owasp.org
Thu Mar 5 14:29:05 UTC 2015

Thank you for your input!

 > Should I recommend using PBKDF2 for the password hashing algorithm?

PBKDF2, bcrypt or scrypt ar the goto algorithms for password storage.

 > Are SHA1/SHA-256 references to stale or outdated documentation?

The are referring to hashing in general, not specific to password storage.

page: https://www.owasp.org/index.php/Cryptographic_Storage_Cheat_Sheet/
 > Only use approved public algorithms such as AES, RSA public key
cryptography, and SHA-256 or better for hashing./

I updated this. better?

https://www.owasp.org/index.php?title=Cryptographic_Storage_Cheat_Sheet&diff=190828&oldid=187902

Aloha,
Jim