[Owasp-cert] Thoughts on PCI/DSS

Matthew Chalmers matthew.chalmers at owasp.org
Tue Jul 29 14:15:47 EDT 2008

I think we can fairly easily cover PCI DSS (and various other regulatory)
concepts/content without having to get so specific that one would have to
actually know the regulation itself. For example, off the top of my head,
one of the things PCI DSS says is, "Do not use vendor-supplied defaults for
system passwords and other security parameters." That's just general good
advice. We could have an objective of the exam be to see whether someone
knows/realises you should change default passwords on OTS OSes, web servers,
web apps, databases, etc. That covers a piece of PCI DSS without anybody
having to actually know that it's a PCI DSS requirement. However, if we
stated a question thusly:

Which is a PCI DSS requirement?
a) do not use vendor-supplied defaults for system passwords
b) do not weak or easily-guessed system passwords
c) do not use blank passwords or passwords equal to the respective account
names
d) Godzilla

Any given security person might think (a), (b), or (c) is a correct answer.
You have to know that PCI DSS specifically calls out (a) as the requirement.
I think we should employ the 10-foot-pole principle to these kinds of
objectives.

P.S. I'm not advocating a multiple-guess exam. It's just an illustration.
:-)

Matt