[Owasp-cert] Deadlines for August

Matthew Chalmers matthew.chalmers at owasp.org
Mon Jul 28 15:57:24 EDT 2008

Ah, that makes more sense now, thanks for clarifying. There might be some
problems, though.

1. Some people will decline to submit exam content--possibly content which
could be great for the exam--because they're required to provide their
company name but can't (some people will ask their company and the company
will say no) or don't want to, for whatever reason, valid or no. This also
makes OWASP appear not as "free and open." The only way I see around this is
to have everyone who submits content sign or agree to some kind of waiver
which states they created what they are submitting and can be held
personally responsible if otherwise, however, this will still cause some
people to decline to submit content.

2. Some companies that are surprised to find their name associated with this
project or OWASP may attempt to take action against OWASP or the individual
from the company. It may be as simple as asking us to remove their name but
it could be worse, for OWASP or the individual who had the best intentions
and was just doing what OWASP said.

3. We may need our own privacy policy for this project. No other OWASP
project I'm aware of requires volunteers to give their company name because
it's irrelevant. Sure OWASP in general would like to have respected company
names associated with its work, as you indicated, but it's never been
compulsory. If we require content submitters to submit anything--at
all--other than the exam content they've come up with, that we intend to use
somehow other than perhaps storing away in a database (which has its own
concerns), we may need to have a disclosure statement about how we intend to
use that info. So this is legal document/contract number 2, or maybe 3 (see
#1 above). And we know you really, really, really, really, really, hate
NDAs. ;-)

There may be other problems I haven't thought of...

Matt