[Owasp-cert] A moment of truth

David H. dmalloc at users.sourceforge.net
Sat Jul 26 15:12:35 EDT 2008

On Sat, Jul 26, 2008 at 7:58 PM, Matthew Chalmers
<matthew.chalmers at owasp.org> wrote:
> I don't think anyone in the list thinks there is a perfect cert process, or
> that ours should/could be; rather, at least a few of us think we should aim
> higher than the status quo.

Thank you Matthew for saying that.

I have spent countless hours on reading, researching and understanding
certification processes as well as learning processes because I got
involved in the APLN L&R (Agile Project Leadership network - Learning
& Recognition) as well as the Scrum Alliance's Certified Scrum Coach
exam process.

I am have learned over time that when you are not testing for a pure
manual or process driven activity, such as "how to most efficiently
assemble a FA-116A part 56" it is very hard to test and judge fairly.
The status quo of learning and certification is inadequat to the way
huan beings learn, especially when we try to assess behaviours.

I would like us to try for the highest standards possible and I would
try us to go for a peer evaluation model. It might take much longer
that way to go from apprentice to Master and it will require muc input
and work from the security professional comunity, but I believe it
will create a certification process which is not only valuable to the
certifying institute, but the community as a whole.

What the community owns and takes part in can only produce good.

-d

--

benefit and harm." - Sun Tzu

--