[Owasp-cert] Deadlines for August

Joshbw joshbw at analyticalengine.net
Sat Jul 26 13:31:48 EDT 2008

On the subject of essays I’d like to add that in my experience being able to communicate effectively is absolutely necessary for security, whether it be explaining vulnerabilities found by pentesting to the devs that don’t necessarily understand the vulnerabilities (has anyone tried explaining CSRF to the unenlightened?) or justifying stricter security standards to high level development leads.  Multiple choice will not provide any analysis of said communication skills, which I think begs a broader question on what the intent of the cert really is.   From the project PDF it is stated that the following are goals:

·         Allow employers to rate their developers and architects on security skills so the can be confident that every project has at least one "security master" and all of their developers and architects understand the common errors and how to avoid them.

·         Provide a means for buyers of software and systems vendors to measure the secure programming skills of the people who work for the supplier.

·         Allow developers and architects to identify their gaps in secure programming knowledge in the language they use and target education to fill those gaps.

·         Allow employers to evaluate job candidates and potential consultants on their secure design & development skills and knowledge.

·         Provide incentive for universities to include secure software design & development in required computer science, engineering, and programming courses.

·         Provide reporting to allow individuals and organizations to compare their skills against others in their industry, with similar education or experience or in similar regions around the world.

I interpret these goals to mean that the primary point is to testify to the utility of a cert holder to an employer (or business partner/customer of the employer).  The more generic we make the test(s), making it communication skills and language agnostic, shying away from country specific issues (such as SSN in the US, SIN in Canada, etc), and so forth, we are watering down the metric for gauging utility.  A company that does business in English (I think we can avoid dialectic issues between countries fairly easily) would absolutely want to know that a perspective cert holder can communicate security knowledge clearly in English (note, clearly doesn’t mean eloquently, just effectively. This doesn’t have to be the GRE written portion), and a company that’s product services a specific country/confederacy should be confident that their security professional knows the applicable issues for that region (handling SSN in the US, handling any PII in the EU including possibly IPs now, etc).  So with that said, are people comfortable with a degradation in the utility of the cert by ignoring these things, would they like to include that information in the base test, or would it be preferable to have an expansion module for specific regions that covers applicable language/legal concerns for that region (for example: a separate smaller cert after you get the OWASP cert, with specifics for North America, Latin America, APAC, or Europe).

As for the essay being a better gauge of knowledge and understanding than multiple choice, that is only true if you construct a multiple choice with only one right answer.  You can very easily make multiple choice questions that require in depth understanding by having zero or more answers right and making the test taker mark all of the correct (possible leaving blank) answers.  It is harder to craft such questions well, and they can be hard as heck, but you need to know your stuff to do well.  In that regard it isn’t much different than essay in terms of knowing the material.

-          Josh

From: "Gary Palmer" <owasp at getmymail.org>
Date: Fri, July 25, 2008 9:50 pm
To: <owasp-cert at lists.owasp.org>

Interestingly enough, I am preparing for the CBEST which is the first step in obtaining a teaching credential.  The CBEST is a 3 part exam, the first deals with reading and comprehension, the second is math and the third is an essay.  The R&C is split between knowing what you read, understanding what you read, and then critical analysis/research analysis/authors perspective/main point/feelings/etc.  The math seems to be fairly straight forward.  The essay is 2 compositions, the first is analyze a given situation and the other is to write about a personal experience.

The grading is scaled and the combined score must be passing.  There is a minimum for each section to pass, but just missing in one and exceeding in another to have a combined passing score will work too.

More at: http://www.cbest.nesinc.com/CA14_overview.asp

Maybe we should consider this type of approach, the essay would certainly challenge the person and provide a record versus a personal meeting that may be biased by personalities.  The different sections could measure depth and understanding of knowledge for multiple degrees of certification.  Also the CBEST allows repeats where you can focus on one section or repeat all, in order to improve your scores.  An interesting approach and unique when I compare to the assorted other certification exams I have taken.

Cheers,

Gary Palmer

  _____