[Owasp-cert] Deadlines for August

Matthew Chalmers matthew.chalmers at owasp.org
Fri Jul 25 22:18:58 EDT 2008

I like the idea of understanding in multiple distinct areas, kind of like
domains in a 'CBOK'. I also like the idea of being able to redo pieces
(after a certain amount wait time maybe) if we do go with some formula that
gets you a higher level. For example if there are five domains...five exams
maybe...we say you have to get at least x% in each to be a 'master' but if
you do great on four of them but only average on the 5th, you're not a
master until you retake that 5th part and get the minimum qualifying score.
It's an idea anyway.

I'm not so sure about the essay. I like essays and fill-in-the-blank in
general, however, we're talking about a very wide audience, much wider than
that of the CBEST. People who will want (and may deserve) an OWASP cert will
not necessarily speak English, not necessarily have good written
communication skills, etc. We're not testing those things, we're just
testing...whatever we're testing relating to web application security. ;-)
Also, if we grade tests rather than a third party like VUE, we may not get
competent volunteers who speak every language in which we may offer the
test. Plus even if we had the luxury of being able to require English, even
good English, of our test-takers, that would mean we'd have to ensure our
test-graders were that much more competent since they're reading essays
rather than just checking to make sure the correct box was ticked. I wonder
if an essay just for the highest level would be do-able even.

Matt