[Owasp-cert] Deadlines for August

Gary Palmer owasp at getmymail.org
Fri Jul 25 21:50:49 EDT 2008

Interestingly enough, I am preparing for the CBEST which is the first step
in obtaining a teaching credential.  The CBEST is a 3 part exam, the first
deals with reading and comprehension, the second is math and the third is an
essay.  The R&C is split between knowing what you read, understanding what
you read, and then critical analysis/research analysis/authors
perspective/main point/feelings/etc.  The math seems to be fairly straight
forward.  The essay is 2 compositions, the first is analyze a given
situation and the other is to write about a personal experience.

The grading is scaled and the combined score must be passing.  There is a
minimum for each section to pass, but just missing in one and exceeding in
another to have a combined passing score will work too.

More at: http://www.cbest.nesinc.com/CA14_overview.asp

Maybe we should consider this type of approach, the essay would certainly
challenge the person and provide a record versus a personal meeting that may
be biased by personalities.  The different sections could measure depth and
understanding of knowledge for multiple degrees of certification.  Also the
CBEST allows repeats where you can focus on one section or repeat all, in
order to improve your scores.  An interesting approach and unique when I
compare to the assorted other certification exams I have taken.

Cheers,
Gary Palmer

  _____