[Owasp-cert] Marketing Question One

Matthew Chalmers matthew.chalmers at owasp.org
Fri Jul 25 18:52:28 EDT 2008

Figuring out the purpose of the cert is something I definitely think needs
to be discussed but I don't necessarily think we should be talking about
whether our cert should be free, cheap, expensive, or anything else until
we've gotten to a point in its development when we actually know what it's
going to cost OWASP to offer it, if anything--at which time we can figure
out if seeking sponsorship/grants is feasible or appropriate.

Besides, there may be more than one cert, or there may be one exam to
ascertain more than one level of skill (e.g. if you get 70% right you're
basic, 80% intermediate, etc.). Additionally, if the purpose is to assess
knowledge, that might be different from assessing experience--or the latter
might be adjunct to the former. If the purpose is just to see how much one
retained from a training course or book, I don't think that necessarily has
much weight and it should be part of the training course/book fee, if any.

Matt