[Owasp-cert] Marketing Idea:OWASP Certification

dlavigne6 at sympatico.ca dlavigne6 at sympatico.ca
Tue Jul 22 07:54:05 EDT 2008

>Yes, we are aware of the obscene Prometric barely negotiable charges. I
>think I see several opportunities. First, it would be in the best interest
>of OWASP to help ensure that the delivery mechanism from a software
>perspective is as secure as possible. Second, if we adopt this platform it
>provides an endorsement to the work that has been done by BSD. So, how
>should OWASP and BSD take a step down the aisle?

So far, we have a code repository and bug tracking system in place as well
as a working front-end. We haven't publicly announced these yet as we lacked
someone with the skills and time to create the software requirements
document for the back-end. We did have lots of volunteers willing to work on
the back-end, but discussion got mired in what language to use, etc. In
other words, we could really use a "product manager" to rein this in and
move this forward. So, pointers to someone or a group of someones with these
skills and time to contribute would be most appreciated. If you have any
ideas, ping me offlist and we can arrange for a skype or IRC session to
discuss.

Once we're back on track, the plan is to release under a BSD license and
announce. We want this code, as well as customized solutions, to be
available to other certification bodies for their use. The BSD license will
also allow commercial solutions to provide a more economic alternative for
testing organizations with a small market.

Cheers,

Dru