[Owasp-cape-town] [zacon-comm] Yet Another Censor Ship Bill (Got Until Thursday to Comment)

Marco Slaviero marco at thinkst.com
Mon May 23 09:47:23 UTC 2016

I'll take a contrarian view on this. I don't view ZaCon as the local EFF
(US crowd rather than the red berets), and entering the political space
will change the dynamic of this group.

For example, if someone supports a particular stance but ZaCon issues a
statement in opposition, then that person would be (in effect) forced out
for political views. For a list with technical underpinnings, that would be
an undesirable outcome in my view.

I think it's also somewhat moot since ZaCon exists solely as a mailing
list. I can't see statements issued at this stage carrying any weight.

Perhaps what these debates are suggesting is that there is space for a
local EFF, with a specific focus on activism and lobbying? If R2K isn't
fulfilling that role, they might be open to expanding into that space, or a
new org could rise.

marco