[Owasp-cape-town] [zacon-comm] B-Sides Cape Town 2015 Badge design

Haroon Meer haroon at thinkst.com
Wed Jul 1 16:25:42 UTC 2015

Hi guys..

On Wed, Jul 1, 2015 at 11:51 AM, Yestin Johnson <yestinj at gmail.com> wrote:
> While I do love the idea of having an electronic badge of this sort for
> B-Sides Cape Town, at this time my opinion is that it would be more
> beneficial to focus additional time (and perhaps money) on making the
> conference a success.

It's your conf, and you can do pretty much whatever you want (duh!)
but i figured i'd let you know why i traditionally didnt love "fancy
badges" at our confs..

My main aim was to encourage _everyone_ to start researching and
contributing (and a sub goal was to promote actual learning over
conference side-shows). Guys who have done the big confs will know
what i mean by conference sideshows (You can go to Defcon.. never
attend a talk, and do whickeycon or pool-con..)

Badges (for me) are border-line, because electronic kits could get ppl
interested and hacking on them, but i've almost always found them
being more of a distraction than anything else.. (if the goal is to
teach ppl how to hack on the teensy/friends.. give a talk / workshop
on it).

Andrew and Jameel dedicated a ton of time towards badge making on one
of the years, and i supported it (primarily because it meant that the
2 of them would be doing some learning/hacking). Although the badge
evening looked like a ton of fun, i was disappointed the next day when
tweets on the badge completely dwarfed tweets on talks.. The crowd had
their shiny "im a hacker thing" and wanted to show it to the world
(ignoring the "actual hacker" thing (learning)).

Of course.. many fine cons do it, and people would do cons for many reasons..

-shrug-

0.02c

--
Haroon Meer | Thinkst Applied Research