[Owasp-boston] Jeremiah Grossman tonight - real web app business logic flaws and more

Jeff Williams jeff.williams at owasp.org
Thu Jun 26 09:20:13 EDT 2008

For the record, I think what Jeremiah means by "business-logic flaws" is
just flaws that you can't scan for.  Most of them are just good-old
authentication, access control, validation, and sensitive data protection
problems.  There are real business logic flaws though and they are
exceedingly difficult to find.  For example, the transaction limit on this
is $1000.  Or this report should never be issued on Thursday.  You know it's
a *real* business logic flaw if you can't tell it's a problem without really
understanding the business rules and policies.

I'm a bit concerned that lumping together all the unscannable security
vulnerabilities into a single category called "business logic flaws" makes
it seem as though the scanning tools (and WAFs for that matter) are more
effective than they really are.  If they say "we find all categories of
problems except business logic flaws" it sounds pretty good.  Reality is
that they're finding the scannable ~30% of flaws in every category of
security problem. Doesn't sound so good now, eh?

It's a fun talk - wish I could be there.

--Jeff