[Owasp-board] Fwd: France Chapter

Mike McCamon mike.mccamon at owaspfoundation.org
Tue Mar 5 17:39:42 UTC 2019

Mr. Gioria,

I am the new Interim Executive Director of OWASP. The Foundation has
standards to define "chapter activity" and Dawn is charged with
administering those standards.

Firstly, I must say it is unacceptable for you to make such a personal
attack on a staff member or any other person in the OWASP community. Please
maintain a level of professional decorum and help us focus on creating a
thriving community. You may be frustrated, but personal attacks on a
person's character and/or harsh sarcasm will not be tolerated.

Next, I would prefer in the future you reach out to me for resolution on
matters like this rather than reaching out to the entire Board. Their role
is of close oversight and strategic direction so while we need to "get this
right," I'm not sure you've taken the shortest path to resolution. Like
you, they are quite busy with their day jobs in addition to the volunteer
service they donate to OWASP.

Some chapter leaders do not understand our rationale for requiring event
plans and history be published on our website. It is quite simple. Each
year the Foundation hosts over six million visitors to our website (over
160,000 from France alone) and it's our aim to connect those visitors with
our network of chapters and local meetings. Without an accurate web page on
our site, we cannot introduce your chapter to prospective members and
therefore under-serve the French market. We are continuously auditing our
220 chapters and when we find a long history of no meetings, we assume the
chapter has fallen inactive.

We are working to make our Chapter Leader guidelines and expectations more
clear and better communicated in the future. We are also retooling some of
our other chapter processes as well.

How would you suggest we update our policies to monitor chapter activity
for our scale? I would love to learn. Maybe checking each chapter's web
page isn't the right plan but I'm unsure what might work better given the
scope of the task.

It is my sincere desire that myself, staff, and the Board does everything
in our power to enable local advocates to share the mission of OWASP in
their community while also balancing the need to run a professionally
managed Foundation.  Thank you for your commitment to our mission.

Mike McCamon
Interim Executive Director, OWASP
o +1.781.876.6253 | m: +1.408.430.2767