[Owasp-board] Feedback on Agenda Items for 11/21.

Sherif Mansour sherif.mansour at owasp.org
Wed Nov 21 03:32:18 UTC 2018

Hi Matt

Thank you for your feedback - I have added comments in line

On Tue, Nov 20, 2018 at 8:35 PM Matt Konda <matt.konda at owasp.org> wrote:

> Board,
>
> Leading into tomorrow's board meeting, I thought I would share some high
> level input on the agenda items.
>
> 1.  Compliance Committee - As I've said in previous board meetings I don't
> support this approach.  I think having an elected committee deal with
> compliance, far from diminishing the attention compliance issues get,
> instead makes compliance something that we (the broader community) have to
> think about all the time.  I would rather see this done through an external
> ombudsman or solution that helps to keep these issues.

There is language in there that the committee could leverage  an external
ombudsman or solution such as universal dispute resolution, so while it is
not 100% external some members of the compliance committee have expressed
interest leveraging these services (and as treasurer I am looking into
potential options here).

> 2.  Committees - I support having stronger committees.  I think the
> language in the proposal is confusing in places but I would vote for it as
> is to move it forward.  The main thing I care about here is that the update
> is not construed as budget decentralization.

Thank you

> 3.  Splits - I already proposed a service model approach.  That is my
> position on this.  I don't see anything of substance behind this agenda
> item that we could vote on or take further.

This is not a motion to vote on - Karen was supposed to after the town
hall, propose details on how a new model would work and for us to vote on.
This did not happen. Now that we have gotten feedback from the community I
would like to tackle this to completion. The discussion I want to have is -
what is next? how do get from a few ideas to a motion that is voted on?
*My* personal take - and I appreciate I am just one voice here - is that
now that we have community feedback we sit back with accounting and the
staff to work out what the various splits would be/service model - preset
it to the community + board - leave a 1 month review period - then vote on
it.

> 4.  Strategy / Budget - I would like to understand how the budget process
> is going to work this year.  Last year there was staff input and a work in
> progress that we talked about through several board meetings.  I'm afraid
> if we don't bootstrap that it will all lag.

Agreed - That is what the discussion is about -There are a few elements
here - The Org structure - The Initiatives roadmap such as
events/technology uplifts  what we *want to do*- Finance *What we can
afford to do* - @Chenxi Wang <Chenxi.Wang at owasp.org> and I have experiences
in setting strategies and budgets to motion - I'd like us to work on this
with the staff and virtual (I have some thoughts on this as well).

--

Sherif Mansour
OWASP Global Board Member & OWASP London Chapter Leader
Email: sherif.mansour at owasp.org
Follow OWASP London Chapter on Twitter: @owasplondon
<https://twitter.com/OWASPLondon>
"Like" us on Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/OWASPLondon
Subscribe to our (lightweight) mailing list:

Consider giving back, and supporting the open source community by becoming
a member <https://www.owasp.org/index.php/Membership> or making a donation
<https://www.owasp.org/index.php/Donate> today!

Join us at AppSec USA 2018 <https://2018.appsecusa.org/> 8-12 October in
San Jose, CA!