[Owasp-board] Board decision on the NYC RFP

Martin Knobloch martin.knobloch at owasp.org
Thu Feb 8 22:34:23 UTC 2018

OWASP Community,

Yesterday your elected board decided not to have OWASP support an RFP to
build a cybersecurity center of excellence in NYC.  The local NYC OWASP
community did an awesome job working to meet the RFP requirements and
assembling a team and a detailed proposal.

The team presented the submission generally during the past OWASP BOD call (
https://www.owasp.org/index.php/February_7,_2018) and in all details during
the executive meeting afterwards.

We decided (unanimously) not to support the proposal at an organizational
level for a couple of very basic reasons:

   1. The activities would be geographically focused in NYC. As a global
   entity, we should prioritize activities with a global interest.
   2. The activities potentially involve a commercial interest which we
   feel can introduce a conflict of interest to our mission.
   3. The foundation has substantial commitments and existing priorities
   with AppSec conferences, Projects and Chapters, which are already stressing
   our existing resources.
   4. We believe both the RFP process and further work around this
   initiative would be a significant amount of work for the Foundation staff,
   which could introduce risk to the core mission of OWASP.

With decisions that involve large amounts of effort, money and direction we
expect people to have strong opinions and ideas.  We feel an acute
responsibility as your elected board to work to make the best decisions we
can for the global OWASP community - to direct our activities and funds
toward our mission, which is an open global application security
community.  We deeply appreciate everyone’s contributions.

Thank you.

On behalf of the OWASP BOD,

Martin Knobloch