[Owasp-board] 2018 Budget preparation

Matt Tesauro matt.tesauro at owasp.org
Thu Oct 12 17:04:48 UTC 2017

Answering inline:

On Sat, Oct 7, 2017 at 3:14 PM, Andrew van der Stock <vanderaj at owasp.org>
wrote:

> Hi folks,
>
> It's that time of the year again, where we need to nut out the budget for
> next year. The goal is to have something agreeable that the new Board can
> approve in the first Board meeting in January 2018.
>
> *Board*, I know many of you are rotating off, but if there's something we
> should be doing in a strategic goal for 2018, and it needs funding, please
> let me know. This goes for new Board members too - if you're a candidate
> and you want something to be done, we need to start budgeting for it now.
> The sense from the Face to Face board meeting is to invest in programs in
> 2018, so let's hear how we can do that.
>
> *Staff*, I need to have your 2018 BAU budget requests in by the end of
> November, or earlier if possible. Please include
>
>    - *Web site redesign*. Upto $150k. We have the list of firms who
>    provided us quotes on this a couple of years ago, so we know what it will
>    take. We need to get this done as the Board has already approved the plan,
>    but no budget for it. Let's fix the budget part of it so we can get the
>    redesign / redo, done.
>
> I also think we should look at potential SaaS providers for hosting
MediaWiki to remove the IT administrative burden of keeping the wiki
software updated and running 24x7.  Considering we're paying roughly
$600/month for the managed VMs we have at Rackspace, we may even be able to
remove this IT burden and reduce costs.

>    - *Marketing *with a view to supporting developer outreach, as I feel
>    we've really not marketed at all in the last few years or our marketing
>    spend has been so misspent and underutilized, it's hurt us tremendously. If
>    you need to go out and find out what is required in this area, please do,
>    because if we get another marketing firm who takes a retainer and does
>    precisely nothing unless we do it ourselves...
>
> I would  be strongly behind doing a call for offers to marketing firms and
also moving this out to a service provider who can actually provide
demonstrable value in this area.

>    - *Asset depreciation / new assets. *We don't have a lot of laptops,
>    but letting old ones age out takes a hit on productivity. Let's keep on
>    upgrading 1/3rd of our laptops every year so we can manage cash flows
>    instead of massive upgrade projects, with the oldest getting securely
>    erased and sold off or given to charity. Please provide a budget for how
>    many laptops need to be replaced
>
> We began that program last year and intend to continue it going forward.
Of the remaining staff, Tiffany has a laptop that was purchased when she
was hired ~1.5 years old plus Claudia & Laura who have laptops that are
~2.5 years old.  I'd suggest we budget for new laptop for Claudia and Laura
during 2018.

> Additionally, I need for staff to conduct a stocktake of all merchandise
> and other assets in late December, so we can determine how much stock we
> have to hand and its value for the books.

Konik warehouses and maintain an inventory of all our merchandise and
sundry assets (table cloths, banners, etc).  Dawn manages that relationship
and getting an inventory of our current assets at Konik will be easy to do.