[Owasp-board] MOTION: Bring in Scion Executive Search to Handle ED Search Process

Josh Sokol josh.sokol at owasp.org
Tue Jun 27 22:32:38 UTC 2017

*MOTION: The Board will allocate up to $45k to hire Scion Executive Search
to conduct the search, evaluation, and hiring process for the new OWASP
Executive Director.*

Josh - Yes
Michael - Yes
Tom - Yes
Andrew - No
Martin (Shadow Vote?) - No
Tobias -
Matt -

Just to be clear here, I do not have time to "exhaust other options" as
Andrew and Martin have alluded to being their preference.  Yes, there are
certainly other companies that can conduct the search for us.  Perhaps even
some that can do it for cheaper, albeit without the focus and expertise in
non-profit executive searches that Scion has.  That said, it is blaringly
clear that nobody, including our Board and staff, has the time to invest in
vetting out all of our options.  With the departure of Kate and Alison,
unfortunately, we are running about as thin as we can possibly afford to be
here.  We have two outstanding votes, but I can tell you that if the Board
votes no on this, then someone else will need to take point from here as I
don't have the time to do as Andrew and Martin have indicated they would
like to see.  We need to make traction on this and I don't see it happening
to the degree that we need without some form out third-party assistance.
It is a lot of money, but this is the single most important hiring decision
that the Board has, and with one failed recruitment effort under our belts,
it is clear that we need to do something different.

~josh