[Owasp-board] SCION Executive Search

Josh Sokol josh.sokol at owasp.org
Fri Jun 16 15:39:26 UTC 2017

Michael,

Thanks.  It makes more sense now that I know where you're coming from on
it.  That said, I still don't think that any of us have the time to be able
to dedicate to running a separate search.  To answer your questions.

1. Would Scion be hosting their own inbound application portal? (It sounds
like from your note they would). If so, are they doing any
vetting/interviewing?

Yes.  "Bullhorn" is their own inbound application portal.  Yes.  They are
doing all of the upfront vetting/interviewing and only passing along the
applicants who they feel are appropriate for our needs.

2. After we get a candidate form Scion we have to do our normal interview
process with OWASP itnterview team. Would this be tracked in the Scion
Bullhorn interview app?

Yes, I believe that we would be using the Bullhorn application as well.

3. If OWASP community/employee/etc wanted to refer a candidate that we know
of, where would they apply? Similarly, if a random person saw the job
description (e.g. someone Scion didn't find) where would they submit? To
Scion's bullhorn interview site? If we chose that candidate, would we pay
Scion the same fee?

Yes, they would submit through the Bullhorn site.  They are still vetting
all of the candidates to ensure that they meet our needs.  Scion would
still be helping to craft the job description, conducting the process,
advertising the position for us, etc.  I believe that we would still pay
the same fee, but we can certainly try to negotiate that.  If this is your
main concern, then again, this comes down to money.  We have no HR team and
no expertise on our Board or staff when it comes to recruiting an ED and
we've seen a fair amount of criticism over our previous effort.  You
wouldn't hire a plumber to do a penetration test, would you?  Why would you
expect a bunch of security professionals to know how to properly recruit an
Executive Director?  If we can get consensus on moving forward with Scion
(or a similar company), then I'm willing to lead the charge on this.  If
we're bent on doing it ourselves, then someone else will need to lead this
effort, as I know I don't have the time required for filtering through the
hundreds of resumes that we will likely receive, and I don't think we can
expect a bunch of volunteers to do that either.

~josh