[Owasp-board] This is a thread for discussing the membership proposal as linked in the connector.0%

Michael Coates michael.coates at owasp.org
Tue Jan 31 23:02:41 UTC 2017

The move from 5k to 10k for lowest tier of corporate sponsorship is
interesting.

A few thoughts

1. Companies that derive value from the sponsorship will ask themselves if
they were getting a good deal at 5k and whether the value is worth 10k. Do
we know which supporters think this way and how they might consider this?
Maybe we've done surveys with our corporate supporters already?

2. All companies will be thinking "why the increase", "what do I get out of
this new amount", and "what will owasp accomplish as a result of this
increase"?

3. Some companies just support because they believe in the cause. By
cutting out 5k level we may see some of them drop off. Financially this
could be balanced by those that do pay at 10k, but from a "spread the word"
angle we will have 1 less supporting company that may be evangelizing
within their company.

None of the above points are necessarily for or against that change, but
rather different ways of thinking about the impacts.

Thanks.

Michael Coates | @_mwc <https://twitter.com/intent/user?screen_name=_mwc>
OWASP Global Board