[Owasp-board] This is a thread for discussing the membership proposal as linked in the connector.

Bil Corry bil.corry at owasp.org
Tue Jan 31 21:54:53 UTC 2017

Some thoughts on Individual memberships (disclosure, I'm a lifetime member):

1. Should pricing be based on local purchasing power?  $20 isn't a lot in
the US, but it is elsewhere in the world.  For example, go to
https://www.numbeo.com/cost-of-living/rankings_by_country.jsp, sort by the
far right column (local purchasing power), take that list and divide it
into different pricing groups based on their purchasing power.

2. Do we still need honorary memberships, especially if the cost of
membership reflects the local purchasing power?

3. For each tier that can vote in global elections, should also add that
they can vote in local elections (or put another way, only members can vote
in local elections).

4. I personally don't want a certificate or membership card, but for those
who do, you could create a PDF for them.

5. The two year membership price tier should end at $349 and add another
tier for a 4-year membership between $350 and $599.  Yes, that means there
isn't a 3-year membership level, but I don't think one is needed.

6. I wish the AppSec conference discount was a little bigger for lifetime
members.

One thought on Corporate memberships:

1. Take a flat percentage of the total membership fee (e.g. 40%) and
convert it into "OWASP Bucks" (or call it whatever you want).  Then rather
than giving free ads, or free job postings, instead still offer the
discounts, but let the Corporate member spend the OWASP Bucks where they
want.  Some may want to support a chapter or project, others may want to
get a Connector ad, or purchase tickets to AppSec USA, or buy a job
posting.  It makes Corporate spending much easier because they wouldn't
need to have different funding conversations at their company.

- Bil