[Owasp-board] MOTION: Senior staff as Interim ED

Tom Brennan tomb at owasp.org
Wed Jan 25 14:54:49 UTC 2017

** this is typically a executive session item  Johanna, as it touches on
HR, but since we have been talking about this internally since July,
meeting mins are not published and you have made a public list motion, I
will second it triggering a discussion and ultimately a vote on your motion.

Discussion;

It's not really a choice, rather a delegation, assignment and adjustment of
responsibilities. Matt Konda has been coaching staff as the Chairman when
available to do so and reporting to the board on these activities monthly
at board meetings.

Since the executive session at AppSecEU in July 2016, this is and should
have been already happening with the staff.  The operational director role
as defined (
https://www.owasp.org/index.php/About_The_Open_Web_Application_Security_Project#Employees_and_Contractors)
is to direct operations and be accountable to the board monthly.  All staff
collobrate and work together but, you can't have (8) people in charge.

Today the org chart defines is Claudia reports to Matt, Matt reports to
Kate.  Everyone else reports to Kate as well for their respective roles and
as a group everyone has self leveled.

Like any team if organizational roles and responsibilities or reporting or
if hiararchy need to shift to meet the evolving needs of the business that
is part of the organization heath check.  IMHO We do not need to hire
another employee further increasing the administrative costs to the
business.  We do need to have internal accountability and leadership.  It
was proposed to have part time assistance leveraging Virtual services for
this as discussed. See this:
http://www.virtualmgmt.com/solutions-virtual-back-office/ but again, the
senior employee is Ms. Hartmann.  Have you had a call with her recently to
express or discuss your concerns?

Feb 8th is around the corner will add it to the agenda to record the vote
on your request
https://www.owasp.org/index.php/Board.

Please review
https://www.owasp.org/index.php/Board#tab=How_Meetings_Operate and this
very helpful cheat sheet for future referrerance:

http://www.umecra.com/BylawsAndRules/Roberts%20Rules%20Handout.pdf