[Owasp-board] At-Large Roles for 2017

Josh Sokol josh.sokol at owasp.org
Fri Jan 13 15:41:13 UTC 2017

Board,

As per the meeting yesterday, I took on an action item to clarify on the
mailing list the focus of the At-Large roles for 2017.  The definition for
Member at Large, as per the Bylaws, is:

regularly attends board meetings and important related meetings, volunteers
> for and willingly accepts assignments and completes them thoroughly and on
> time, stays informed about committee matters, prepares themselves well for
> meetings, and reviews and comments on minutes and reports, gets to know
> other committee members and builds a collegial working relationship that
> contributes to consensus, is an active participant in the committee’s
> annual evaluating and planning efforts, participates in fundraising for the
> organization

Last year, I proposed to define special focus areas for each of the At
Large Board Members for the 2016 year.  For clarity, this was not an
amendment to the roles, as defined in the Bylaws, but rather a scoping for
a limited period of time to help drive focus on the areas we felt that
needed it.  In 2016, those areas were Chapters, Projects, and Governance.
I wanted to begin the discussion on the mailing list about what these focus
areas could be for 2017.  I'm listing out a few ideas that I've
brainstormed, but would welcome additions to this list.

   - Chapters
   - Projects
   - Governance
   - Education
   - Grants
   - Membership
   - Government Liaison/Policy Influence (not sure if this would be
   allowable per 501c3, but might be interesting)

What else would interest you or do you consider a key focus area for
OWASP?  Do you think it is better to go with a broad topic area like we did
last year or maybe assign Board members to specific items like the website
redesign project or global training program?

~josh