[Owasp-board] REQUEST BUDGET: for project leaders to assist OWASP summit London

Matt Tesauro matt.tesauro at owasp.org
Fri Feb 10 21:53:23 UTC 2017

Answering inline...

On Thu, Feb 9, 2017 at 3:03 PM, johanna curiel curiel <
johanna.curiel at owasp.org> wrote:

> Hello Board,
>
> At the moment, there are is a group of project leaders that need support
> to assist to the OWASP summit in London: http://owaspsummit.org/
> Logistics/Participants-need-support.html

One minor correction, Claudia is going to have her travel covered using the
"Staff Travel" budget so she doesn't need to be on that list. At least that
will make the request a wee bit smaller : )

These leaders have clearly shown their high end contributions but
> unfortunately some of them, do not have enough budget in their projects to
> assist.
>
> Initially, we wanted to consolidate the budget into one major summit
> instead of having a small project summit during the APPSEC EU.
>
> Historically, the reason why we are doing it during the APPSEC is because
> creating and organizing one major summit as the one happening in London,
> requires a lot of effort, which now is being driven by Seba and Dinis.
>
> I personally think that investing in one summit is the best, and allowing
> project leaders to use their project budget + extra allocation to assist to
> a major summit will be very beneficial for the organization and specially
> to the project leaders.
>
> If Matt Tesauro does not want to allocate this money which has already
> been reserved for a small summit in appsec eu, as he mentioned because they
> want to have a small project summit during the appsec, I also agree with
> that but, we should allow project leaders the opportunity to decide which
> one they want to assist and really think through want are we achieving
> during these small summits.

Its not about allocating the funds - its about giving project leaders the
largest number of opportunities to attend a project summit - small or
large.  Since we're volunteer based, its fair to assume that most project
leaders will be taking time off work or away from family to attend either
AppSec EU or the Summit in London.  Its also fair to assume that some
leaders will choose one over the other for some reason - financial, taking
time off work, planned vacations, who knows.  So, even though the Summit in
London should be an amazing event, I don't want to deprive leaders who
choose to go to AppSec EU a chance to attend a project summit.

Also, when Tom Pappas and I went over the budget after the last board call,
we discovered that the project summits at the global AppSec events had more
budget then they needed and we moved 50% of those funds to the London
Summit so there has been an allocation to support the London Summit already.

> Claudia mentioned that she could assist us attending the London summit and
> we want to organize a major OWASP project review villa during this summit
> too.

Yup.  Claudia will be there.  I have a vacation that's already planned and
paid for during the same time that I cannot shift so this will be the first
OWASP Summit that I miss and it makes me sad.

> My concrete request to the Board is to allocate a maximum of USD20K for
> active project leaders to assist to the summit in London, allowing them to
> decide if they prefer to assist this one instead of London, based on their
> actual Project budget and use from this allocation if they do not have
> enough in their budget here:
> https://docs.google.com/a/owasp.org/spreadsheets/d/11acTOmtmBGq6-
> 5CIGsjlEByU8POSGqda0r23VNnhEGQ/pub?hl=en_US&hl=en_US&output=html#

I'm assuming you mean active project leaders with a preference for Flagship
and Labs over incubator.

Also, you might want to check with Tom Pappas and Andrew to see what has
been set aside in the 2017 budget for the London Summit.  Like I said
above, there was $50k moved in the budget from the Global AppSec Summit
budget line into the London Summit so there may be room already for
supporting those leaders depending on what was already budgeted less what
the London Summit needs for funds.

> If a project has enough money to cover a 5 day ticket + Traveling cost,
> then they will not need money from these 20K, otherwise if they do not have
> , they could use it, in addition to other costs such as traveling tickets

+1

-- Matt Tesauro

Please let us know your thoughts regarding this and how can we move forward