[Owasp-board] This is a thread for discussing the membership proposal as linked in the connector.

Tiffany Long tiffany.long at owasp.org
Wed Feb 1 19:19:12 UTC 2017

I have some thoughts and answered them in line. None of them are defending
or attacking any position, just adding context.

1. Should pricing be based on local purchasing power?  $20 isn't a lot in
the US, but it is elsewhere in the world.  For example, go to
https://www.numbeo.com/cost-of-living/rankings_by_country.jsp, sort by the
far right column (local purchasing power), take that list and divide it
into different pricing groups based on their purchasing power.

There are two things to keep in mind here; first, when discussing
purchasing power remember that our audience tends to be well paid.  So
where $50 is a lot of money in India for some, for our audience it is the
price of two meals with two drinks for two in most cities. In the US change
those drinks to alcoholic drinks and it is the price of one or one meal
with water in San Francisco.  This is a fair annual price if we can show
value.

Second, atm we can only adjust price by region.  This means that Japan and
Australia and Singapore will pay the same as Indonesia and the Philippians.
Moving to a flexible plan fixes this, but includes the issue of global
voter distribution. That said, I think the flexible plan can address that
issue as well.

2. Do we still need honorary memberships, especially if the cost of
membership reflects the local purchasing power?
Honorary memberships were introduced when OWASP had a desperate need for
volunteers.  We no longer do,  but the question is should the way honorary
memberships reflect the fact that we value the labor of leadership above
the membership price is a valuable social construct continue?

3. For each tier that can vote in global elections, should also add that
they can vote in local elections (or put another way, only members can vote
in local elections).

The rules currently state that all members, paid and honorary, MUST be
allowed to vote in any chapter election.  They also leave room to allow
chapters to actively choose to allow non paid members to vote in local
elections.  I think this covers our minimum needs and allows chapters to
choose to be more open where culturally or otherwise appropriate. (so this
is a sort of stance, I guess.)

4. I personally don't want a certificate or membership card, but for those
who do, you could create a PDF for them.
This is a recurring request, and this solution is included in the plan.
Interestingly, the request for membership card is loosely associated with
geographic region until the rank of lifetime member.

5. The two year membership price tier should end at $349 and add another
tier for a 4-year membership between $350 and $599.  Yes, that means there
isn't a 3-year membership level, but I don't think one is needed.

6. I wish the AppSec conference discount was a little bigger for lifetime
members.
Perhaps this should be weighed against the expected lifetime of an OWASP
member so that we can gauge the fiscal impact?

One thought on Corporate memberships:

1. Take a flat percentage of the total membership fee (e.g. 40%) and
convert it into "OWASP Bucks" (or call it whatever you want).  Then rather
than giving free ads, or free job postings, instead still offer the
discounts, but let the Corporate member spend the OWASP Bucks where they
want.  Some may want to support a chapter or project, others may want to
get a Connector ad, or purchase tickets to AppSec USA, or buy a job
posting.  It makes Corporate spending much easier because they wouldn't
need to have different funding conversations at their company.

Tiffany Long
Community Manager