[Owasp-board] OWASP Summit 2018 - event submitted for approval in OCMS

Seba seba at owasp.org
Sun Aug 27 09:35:52 UTC 2017

hi Matt,

See inline below

regards

Seba

On Thu, Aug 24, 2017 at 7:20 AM Matt Konda <matt.konda at owasp.org> wrote:

> Seba,
>
> Consider it added to the agenda.  Due to timing I’m going to suggest we
> discuss online as well and at the meeting as needed.
>
> I have a few questions:
>
> 1.  What is the best way to see the financial results from this year’s
> summit?

I am going over the results with Tom as there is  a difference from our
budget with actuals (break-even, attached) and the event P&L in quickbooks.

> 2.  How do these results compare with other global events?  You mentioned
> it broke even, I believe that is with the “seed fund” which in theory was a
> “loan”.  So this feels like an investment for the Foundation, unlike the
> other global events.  Correct me if I am mistaken anywhere.

the event was able to refund the seed fund

> 3.  Can you talk about the overall results?  (Lots of great things that
> came out of this year’s summit?)

the results were beyond our expectations. see the website
https://owaspsummit.org/ and the list of outcomes here
https://owaspsummit.org/Outcomes/

> 4.  How did the virtual part of the summit work out?  ($100K is a lot to
> spend on travel.)

quite ok and we will work to improve this next year
but the "magic" of the summit is really the face-to-face communication
during the working sessions and throughout the day
the board should really come over to experience this (you can schedule your
face to face board meeting here)!

> 5.  Does it make sense for OWASP to have another summit event in the UK?
> I see positives to this for sure.  I’m just wondering if the broader
> community is comfortable with this.

yes, the venue is perfect and we now have the logistics under control
London Heathrow is easy to fly into from all over the world

we could organize other summits in other parts of the world, but we aim to
have the main summit organized in the same location in the coming years.