[Owasp-board] Follow Up From 8/9/2017 Board Meeting
tpappas at virtualmgmt.com
Fri Aug 25 21:35:48 UTC 2017
Hello Josh, with regard to your note below about a budgeted amount for the ED it is this year’s budget beginning in July. Take care
Thomas S. Pappas, MSA | Senior Vice President of Finance & Administration | Virtual, Inc.
tpappas at virtualmgmt.com<mailto:tpappas at virtualmgmt.com>
401 Edgewater Place, Suite 600, Wakefield, MA 01880
[cid:image001.png at 01CE7100.10DF2040]
From: owasp-board-bounces+tpappas=virtualmgmt.com at lists.owasp.org [mailto:owasp-board-bounces+tpappas=virtualmgmt.com at lists.owasp.org] On Behalf Of Josh Sokol
Sent: Friday, August 25, 2017 4:43 PM
To: OWASP Board List <owasp-board at lists.owasp.org>
Subject: [Owasp-board] Follow Up From 8/9/2017 Board Meeting
Again, I'm sorry that I could not be in attendance for this meeting. My mother-in-law passed away and I was handling details around that and traveling in MN for her memorial. I have listened to the recording and wanted to provide follow-up with my feedback on the discussion:
* Vice Chair - I will gladly accept the role of Vice Chair through the end of my term. Thank you all for your vote of confidence.
* Proposal to Adjust Approval Process - I support this and would like to record an after-the-fact vote in favor. Staff, could you please update the voting record on my behalf? Thank you.
* OWASP ED Candidate - I really appreciate Matt trying to cover this topic in my absence. Search was updated for "global" search. To Tom's point, my mother-in-law passed away right as we were getting ready to go public with the job posting and I had to check out of the process for a bit. The unfortunate side-effect was that the job posting didn't get sent to the community working with Tiffany as I had intended. That said, we had a previous iteration with a job posting with the community that only brought in a few submissions. Those who remained as qualified candidates were fed back into this new process. We may have missed out on the opportunity to have the community help to promote it, but I still feel like we got an extremely qualified group of candidates to choose from out of this. I apologize for this unexpected event causing some disruption in processing here. Interviews with 6 candidates are scheduled for the Board the week of 9/4 and candidates passing that round will be moved to interview with select staff and community members the following week. It's a tight window, but we should be able to have a final candidate selected, or at least a final in-person interview, scheduled for AppSecUSA.
* AppSecUSA - Glad that AppSecUSA is trending in the right direction. Much like what was expressed by others on the call, I'm concerned about where it will end up in terms of profit as that will impact next year's budgeting. Also, confirming that I will NOT be at AppSecUSA this year due to other commitments, but I WILL be attending the Board meeting. Please confirm that this is scheduled for 9/19 from 5 to 8 PM CST?
* Expensify - There was no "vote" on this one, but it sounds like everyone agreed that it was operational in nature and they should just do it. I tend to agree, but with a new ED on the horizon, I would personally prefer to make that their call and would hesitate to bring anything new into the mix at this point. My $0.02.
* Face-to-Face Motions - I feel pretty good about what I've accomplished in my almost four years on the Board. I feel like I've been able to push the motions that I felt we needed and really the only remaining major piece for me is having a proper ED in place before we go. This is now my #1 priority with OWASP and don't want to split time spent on that to focus on something else.
* Budget - I agree with Andrew that we need to start thinking about budgets now. I agree with what Tobias said about candidates being able to speak their minds about budgeting now and that's a great way for them to drum up support as well. One thing that we should definitely consider is that our budget for the ED will need to be included (I don't think it was this year) and likely expanded beyond what it was before. I noted the item on the Board to "fix the chapter split" and I am very much against this. We already amended the split to 90/10 on global events back on July 1, 2016. Protecting chapter funds and funding sources is one of the key platforms that I ran on for the Board and this is one of the reasons why I feel that I've been successful thus far.
OK, Hurricane Harvey is here and I gotta go. Stay safe everyone!
-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
-------------- next part --------------
A non-text attachment was scrubbed...
Size: 15940 bytes
More information about the Owasp-board