[Owasp-board] WIA, Veteran Meetup

Tiffany Long tiffany.long at owasp.org
Wed Sep 28 16:49:48 UTC 2016

Hey Tom,

I am afraid there is actually not time to put something together and make
it look professional.  There have been a lot of last min. additions to the
conference and we simply cannot support any more without compromising the
integrity of the conference.  I do think it will make you happy to see that
the WIA is reaching out to veterans as part of their events.

I understand that you do not see a need for women's organizations in tech,
and while I can respond with reams of sociological and industry research
that say otherwise, I think that is beside the point.  Numerous volunteers
of all genders have come to me with requests to support this need.  Our
community wants this so much I have yet to go to an event without it being
brought up by several people.  The conference planning team has made gender
parity one of their priorities and it is my job to support them.
Furthermore, OWASP has taken some PR hits recently because of our gender
disparity--those observations are simply going to undermine our thought
leader status by making us look archaic and old guard.

Best,
Tiffany

Tiffany Long
Community Manager