[Owasp-board] Financial reports 2015?

Andrew van der Stock vanderaj at owasp.org
Fri Sep 9 06:04:46 UTC 2016

Johanna,

I am responsible for the finances, but we can only move as fast as the
things occur.

Production timeline is delayed, no doubt, but there is a reason for it:

   - We have to wait for the 2015 books to close (generally end of March)
   - We have to reconcile and ensure all the entries are correct. This
   happened by the end of May
   - We have to let the 990 be prepared. This happened in August
   - We have to wait for the CPA to go over the 990. This happened late
   August
   - The 990 has to be reviewed and signed by Matt and myself
   - The annual report has to be prepared with the figures from the 990.
   Kate is very busy with AppSec USA prep just when we need this report to be
   done.

So there are almost no delays here that could be eliminated.

The last year financial report is backwards looking. Our current P&L is
more up to date than the close out of last year's finances, so if you look
at the financial package provided in each Board meeting, this is what I
see, and where I think you'll get best value in being informed about our
current financial health.

The main reason to be truly interested in a timely production of last
year's results is if we identify a financial issue, such as a
reconciliation failure, in the preparation of the 990. This has never
happened, but it's one of those things that we make sure we get right.
Alison reconciles regularly and generally things are rectified in a timely
fashion.

thanks,
Andrew