[Owasp-board] [Owasp-leaders] Regarding Budget 2017- Allow OWASP members to participate

Michael Coates michael.coates at owasp.org
Thu Sep 8 16:51:49 UTC 2016

A few thoughts here:

1. If there a particular elements for 2017 planning that the community
feels passionate about then it would be great for that voice to be heard so
it can be considered within the planning cycle. But I don't think a vote on
the budget by the community would necessarily accomplish that goal (or
represent the community view as Josh noted). So as others have mentioned I
encourage discussion on particular topics of interest.

2. The board list is open for visibility and transparency. But with that we
have to exercise a bit of caution to realize that many ideas are discussed
and debated in their infancy. By that, I mean that Andrew's email was only
an email with suggested topics for discussion and 1 potential path forward
(albeit an important viewpoint on financial planning from the treasurer).

It's also important to know that at the board we follow Robert's Rule of
Order <http://www.robertsrules.org/> which means that any official business
requires a formal motion, a second of that motion, discussion and then a
vote. By that measure, an email to the board alias is the least formal and
at the very beginning of the process. We have many emails and discussions
of which some make it to a motion and are often changed substantially
before they make it to a vote.

(I imagine that was more non-appsec process stuff than you were intending
for this Thursday reading.)

Thanks!

--
Michael Coates | @_mwc <https://twitter.com/intent/user?screen_name=_mwc>