[Owasp-board] MOTION: Allocate up to $500 to Chapters and Projects with balances less than $500

Andrew van der Stock vanderaj at owasp.org
Thu Nov 10 14:06:32 UTC 2016

Tony,

The outliers here *are* the beneficiaries of this motion. I'm not sure of
your point here; I am all for chapters spending the funds they have or
raise.

I'd rather any new additional funding for chapters to be from an
non-recurring activity model, where chapters of any size or funding base
can access funds to do something great for their local or regional area if
they have a plan and apply for funding. This makes zero assumptions about
the chapter's current financial health, size, paid membership, local
sponsorship, location, or anything other than that they want to do
something for their chapter. This is fairer, and it means active leaders
doing stuff get mission funds for mission work.

Simply giving funds to probably inactive chapters or small regional
chapters similar to where I live - where it's entirely possible to hold
meetings for free - simply is not a good use of OWASPs funds at this point,
as once it's earmarked, it's not able to be spent on other activities due
to convention since this funding experiment was first conceived in 2013.
The funds currently sit in general revenue until spent, and it's difficult
for our accounting staff to get a specific chapter balance as it's created
from month on month cumulative accrual basis, and not separate accounts. We
have a month end report, which is where the Scorecard is derived.

thanks,
Andrew