[Owasp-board] Permission to create exceptions to committees 2.0

Tiffany Long tiffany.long at owasp.org
Wed Nov 9 00:07:45 UTC 2016

No Bev,

The scope of the Committee is to create a plan for training within OWASP.
Not only is executing the plan outside of the scope as the committee is
meant to be a short lived one, but a training platform would be
fundamentally different than a usable curriculum at a university level.

Below is the scope as found on the Committee's portal:

 to work on a concrete plan to build out OWASP's Education platform. I see
this as a platform that allows:

   - Free and open source training
   - Free and Paid webinars
   - Free and Paid online and CBT training
   - Slideshare / Speakerdeck style repo of donated materials
   - The start of our education platform for tertiary institutions and
   outreach (so train the lecturer)

What I would love is for a wide range of folks to be involved in a short
and sharp collaboration to produce:

   - a action plan
   - a budget that uses the $50k allocated in this year's budget to
   establish the platform
   - a budget for FY17 and future years to a point where it is not only
   self-sustaining but also a profit centre for OWASP.

I've cc'd in those who mentioned they would be interested at the Board
meeting today, but this is a general call for participation, particularly
if you have:

   - Training materials you would like to donate to OWASP
   - Videos of your talks or courses you've given
   - Or are a trainer and would like to participate in shaping our new
   platform

Although we will provide both free and paid alternatives using the same
platform, we should not lose our open source roots.  We need licensing of
materials and participation agreements to be discussed (for a little while)
so we are on a sound footing going forward so we never get DCMA take down
requests from hostile folks.

Best,
Tiffany

Tiffany Long