[Owasp-board] Brand Usage Guidelines

Noreen Whysel noreen.whysel at owasp.org
Thu Mar 24 13:40:32 UTC 2016

Josh,

We received critical comment from Dirk Wetter, suggesting that allowing members (individual, corporate and sponsors) to display our logo somehow constitutes a "sale" of the logo and should not be permitted. He used as an example a local sponsor of OWASP Germany that included an OWASP logo on their training flyer. The logo included text indicating the are a supporter of OWASP which in my mind makes a clear indication that they support us, not that we endorse the training. However, Dirk feels that our endorsement is implicit in any display of our logo. He goes as far as saying our logo should not be used on partner events and events we are cohosting either, which to me goes too far.

We need a balance between getting our image and links to our resources out their and protecting it. We could include a rule that says under no circumstances may the OWASP logo be used in advertising, unless it is for a cohosted event or partnership where a signed agreement exists.

Love to hear your thoughts.

Noreen Whysel
Community Manager
OWASP Foundation