[Owasp-board] O'Reilly

Jim Manico jim.manico at owasp.org
Sat Mar 19 19:02:53 UTC 2016

other conferences) is a reasonable idea. But I have a few concerns to
consider.

Details:

1) Number one, we want to support everyone leveraging OWASP materials.
As an author I've referenced a lot of OWASP material in my book. Key
word : reference. O'Reilly should be doing the same and we could help
them with that.

2) Next and more importantly, I would love to see O'Reilly actively help
OWASP with open source content and projects. That's - by far - most
inline with the mission and has the maximum reach. Imagine if O'Reilly
authors and OWASP volunteers worked on maintaining content together?
That would be powerful. While this is not likely to happen, it's a
strong note regarding where our philosophies go in different directions.
We want content to be free, O'Reilly is a commercial publisher who
believes the opposite.

Matt, you mentioned about O'Reilly, "/As we are, they are passionate
about the editorial and commercial independence of their content./"
which I think of as a bit dangerous and trying to frame them as open
content which they are not. They are a closed publisher who has a
different mission that we do (ie make profit). So please when working
with these folks use our mission of "commercial freedom" and "vendor
neutral (ie: invite other publishers") and be careful about giving these
folks any special treatment. /Especially if they will not contribute
open content to OWASP./

3) Also, even though OWASP conferences are important to the foundation
finances, when it comes to outreach they are *minor* compared to other
resources. So conference partnerships - while interesting -  influences
few compared to other OWASP resources, so it's less interesting in terms
of scale. I would like us to focus on how do we reach 20 million
developers, not how can we reach a few thousand folks who can afford to
attend conferences.

*** Now with that in mind, I think explore co-marketing possibilities is
a great idea - just like we do or have done with RSA, Blackhat and other
conference circuits to help spread the OWASP word.

Aloha,
Jim