[Owasp-board] OWASP + Bugcrowd - Program Proposal Details - Next Steps

Josh Sokol josh.sokol at owasp.org
Fri Jan 22 22:49:14 UTC 2016

I'm fine with a generic disclaimer that OWASP's use of any products or
services does not constitute an endorsement.  Actually, a similar type of
generic disclaimer already exists on owasp.org:

OWASP *does not endorse or recommend commercial products or services*,
> allowing our community to remain vendor neutral with the collective wisdom
> of the best minds in software security worldwide.

How about we just add that statement to the bottom of every page everywhere
that OWASP owns so that there is never any confusion?  We can add it to all
e-mail signatures as well just to cross every "T" and dot all the "I"s.
Ultimately, I agree with Johanna in that we need to define clear rules of
engagement and create whatever disclaimers are necessary so that we don't
keep spinning our wheels.  I am all for vendor neutrality, but that doesn't
mean that we can't or don't use vendors.  Does our use of MediaWiki imply
endorsement of their product?  SalesForce?  Google everything?  Mailman?
Ning?  GoToMeeting?  I know...I know...this is AppSec, so this is
different, but is it really?  There has to be a way for OWASP to be able to
engage with vendors in a meaningful way, especially when it results in a
net positive for our community.  Yes, let's disclaim away if that's what it
takes to make this happen!

~josh