[Owasp-board] OWASP + Bugcrowd - Program Proposal Details - Next Steps

Jim Manico jim.manico at owasp.org
Fri Jan 22 22:02:34 UTC 2016

At the very least, I think we need to say that we do not at all endorse
BugCrowd as per the OWASP rules of play.

Josh, your "why BugCrowd" comments gives me concern. Regardless of their
sponsorship, donations or contributions, we still need to maintain a
strong commitment to vendor neutrality. What this means is we need to
give all vendors in this space a chance to play or at least treat them
all in a equal way. To conflate their (great!) contributions with a
preference to chose them as a vendor - donated service or not - is
something deeply against the spirit of what vendor neutrality means.

I respect BugCrowd and what they do, but I also think OWASP is much
stronger when vendor neutrality is something we care about deeply. The
moment we start using BugCrowds service, we tangentially endorse them.
We need to be careful about this.

Please note, I do not have a conflict of interest here at all. I do not
compete with BugCrowd in any way. In fact, I have friends who work there
that I care deeply for.

This is a stance I have held for all OWASP-AppSec vendor relationships
and I encourage all of us with fiduciary duty to do the same.

Aloha,
Jim