[Owasp-board] Fwd: OWASP + Bugcrowd - Program Proposal Details - Next Steps

Josh Sokol josh.sokol at owasp.org
Fri Jan 22 20:11:57 UTC 2016

OWASP Board and Paul,

Kelly, Claudia, and I took some time this morning to discuss the
sponsorship opportunity with Bugcrowd.  What Bugcrowd is offering us is
their top-tier program for not only the OWASP website, servers, etc, but
also for any project that wants to use it as well.  I believe that this
would be a HUGE value-add to our projects platform to have this type of a
resource behind them.  We would still need to determine and pay the actual
bounties, but the management of the program itself from engaging
researchers to triaging submissions to determining the security impact
would all be handled by Bugcrowd.  They said that this program runs $86k/yr.

I made it a point to ask them "Why Bugcrowd" instead of one of their
competitors and their response was good, IMHO.  For one, they are already a
sponsor of numerous OWASP events, and for another, they already have
employees actively contributing to the OWASP community.

Kelly is working with Bugcrowd in order to come up with an all-encompassing
sponsorship package.  This would likely include corporate membership at the
Silver level and conference sponsorship in exchange for some amount of
money to be negotiated.  Assuming that we can come to terms on the
sponsorship package, they will throw in the Bugcrowd platform as a
"Donation" and it is up to us to decide whether we would like to use it or
engage another vendor.

~josh