[Owasp-board] Wiki RFQ

Kate Hartmann kate.hartmann at owasp.org
Mon Jan 18 15:59:08 UTC 2016

I just wanted to throw out some information.  I spoke with our SF account
manager about the functionality of NGO.

NGO does not have a native membership module, and while the events module
does have some different features like seating charts, it is not robust
enough to manage the complexity of our events as they exist today.

Before OWASP could migrate to the NGO platform there would need to be some
serious developer work to build the membership and events platforms for
OWASP.

I was told by the Salesforce Foundation (the branch that works with the Non
Profit organizations) that for associations like ours, the recommendation
is frequently Fonteva and the Member Nation platform.  This is what we
currently have in place and have been using since April 2014.

There are modules within the existing MN platform that we have not
implemented.  Specifically, there are modules for Chapters, Fundraising,
Education, and Awards.

Out of the box, the functionality doesn't match what OWASPs current
processes are, but the baseline for the concept is there.

I'm not convinced that MN can help streamline back office processes (I
don't believe that is within their scope) but I have communicated with
several consulting firms who specialize in working with NP orgs like ours.

I am active in the DC Non Profit SF user group and, when we have clearly
defined the scope of the RFQ as it relates to our back office operations
and Salesforce, I would like to be sure that it gets submitted to some
companies that I am familiar with and who have a really good reputation for
their work with Non Profit organizations.

One company, in particular, is Cloud for Good
<https://tracking.cirrusinsight.com/bf46019c-8858-4305-8b7c-e72f57b5847b/cloud4good-com>
.

I, and the ops team, have spent a little time looking at different
gamification platforms.  Time and time again, the biggest roadblock is
trying to integrate a platform or tool with the wiki.  We first attempted
Mozilla Badges in 2013, and since then have poked a couple of different
options without much success.  Most recently ThinkSmartOne
<https://tracking.cirrusinsight.com/bf46019c-8858-4305-8b7c-e72f57b5847b/thinksmartone-com>.
There are a couple of open source platforms
<https://tracking.cirrusinsight.com/bf46019c-8858-4305-8b7c-e72f57b5847b/enterprise-gamification-com-mediawiki-index-php>
out there, but I am not familiar enough with the coding side of things to
know if any of them would work for OWASP.  I would like to be sure that
wiki integration with some of our other systems is included in the scope of
services.

I think Tom is correct that there is a #1 and a #2 to the infrastructure
goals and although they do have a relationship, they are not necessarily
the same thing.  I'm not sure that they can be combined into the same RFP
unless the primary objective is to integrate our back office systems with
the wiki - and that may be the case.

I would welcome an outsider's perspective on our existing workflow and
operational processes.  I am not a developer, but I'm pretty good at
declarative development (point and click building and integrations) so as
we've been building our SF instance, most of the additions and improvements
have been of that nature.  I'm pretty sure that a SF developer who can
write the code and triggers could help us to streamline and improve our
existing processes.

Thank you
Kate

--