[Owasp-board] Bugcrowd for OWASP Projects

Josh Sokol josh.sokol at owasp.org
Sat Jan 16 16:55:31 UTC 2016

Jim,

I am all for vendor neutrality, but that doesn't mean that we have to put
out a RFP for proposed sponsorships.  If that were the case, every time a
vendor asked to sponsor one of our conferences, then we would need to put
out a RFP to see if any other vendors wanted to sponsor as well.  Do we do
an RFP for every company that wants a corporate OWASP membership?  The only
difference here is that they would like to offer us their service instead
of a check.  As Kelly said, we just need to evaluate if that is worth more
than the money to us.

If you feel passionately about this, then perhaps you would like to engage
other similar vendors and see if they would be interested in offering up a
similar barter-in-trade agreement?  Personally, I see value in what Bug
Crowd is offering us as it supports discussions that I've seen OWASP
Leaders have in the past and it seems like something that adds value to the
OWASP Projects platform given some of the recent discussions around why
someone would choose to be an OWASP project.  If we were paying Bug Crowd
for their services, then I would absolutely agree with you and if they
propose any sort of a fee, then I don't think I would be in favor of it
either.  But if they're truly offering us their platform to us to use for
free for the OWASP Foundation and it's projects, then I see A LOT of value
there and would like to at least have the conversations with them.

~josh