[Owasp-board] Bugcrowd for OWASP Projects

Josh Sokol josh.sokol at owasp.org
Sat Jan 16 06:07:11 UTC 2016

Looking at this old page here:

https://owasp.org/index.php/Membership/members

At least at some point in time we had Barter-In-Trade agreements.  I had
thought that SalesForce was one of them, but it sounds like that's wrong.
I think that Rackspace is another.  I don't think we ever went to Amazon,
Microsoft, etc to ask them if they would be interested in hosting us
instead of Rackspace when they offered us a trade.  I don't really see this
as being any different.  From what he was telling me, it sounds like Bug
Crowd is offering to let us use their platform to manage bounties for
free.  I don't see that as a vendor selling us something, I see it as a
vendor sponsoring something.  Yes, it costs money to run a bug bounty, but
this would allow all of our money to go toward rewarding the bugs, instead
of some portion going towards managing the program.  Personally, I have no
affinity towards Bug Crowd so if Hackerone or another similar company is
offering us something better, I would be inclined to take that instead.
But, at least right now, Bug Crowd approached me about it.  I think it's at
least worth exploring.  It sounds like it would make sense if we pulled
together a small team of Johanna, Kelly, Claudia, and me to evaluate the
opportunity and potential.  If anyone else is interested in participating,
let me know.  Oscar, the account executive from Bug Crowd, is supposed to
send me a note next week and I will make introductions then.  Cool?

~josh