[Owasp-board] Time to review

johanna curiel curiel johanna.curiel at owasp.org
Sat Feb 20 18:14:59 UTC 2016

>>I trust those involved will make a good decision here.

>>First, the current proposal *does not include the triage, reproduction,
and remediation piece* (the Bugcrowd one does).  After speaking with them
about this, they explained that it is because there is additional costs
involved with that because they partner with other companies to provide
that service.  That said, they offered to talk to one of their partners and
had a strong belief that they could offer this to us as well.

Hi Jim.

I'm all in favour of vendor neutrality at all times.I admire your
pro-activeness in these matters, however, at this point, I'm out of this
equation regarding any decisions of a bounty program and management of it
in the future.

One of the major problems we have, is to create sustainable initiatives.
I'm a volunteer with limited time. My availability will vary a lot and this
is common for volunteers.

I think is important that we ask ourselves who will be accountable for the
system we bring in and able to manage this continuously. Volunteer based,
I'm not convinced.

Wiki and Reviews have shown that volunteer based does not work. Therefore,
I prefer to abstain to participate on this bounty initiative because my
workload has multiplied by the dozen, and as a volunteer, I cannot provide
any guarantees of my availability in the future.

This counts for the review process. This is the reason why we,  Enrico and
I, proposed to decentralise and focus on a platform. Even so, this platform
is highly dependable on volunteers. So far, only 6 members have voted for
Graduation of the OWASP security project.We lack participation. I feel like
no one cares. Or people just don't want to participate in this kind of
thing.I have no freaking idea.

So far, there has not been any reviewers that have worked on reviews since
we restarted this initiative.Even before, when Claudia start offering
amazon cards in exchange for reviews, only 2 persons participated for 2
reviews one different projects. We keep on looking, I believe Claudia has
contact them, but in the end, nothing.

 I took many hours to build that criteria and let people comment and
collaborate, so we make this process easier. There has been some
participation , but from very few. We provide the community with all the
opportunities to participate but still, there is a lack of interested in
this subject.

I spoke with Jason Li, and even on an interview you did to him in 2008, he
had the same idea of providing a platform for participation, but people
don't want to volunteer to for these kind of tasks, just as happens with
the wiki.

Furthermore, you end as a solo-player, nobody gives you thanks, when all
you are trying to do is help, burning your free time chasing
waterfalls.(Thats counts for you with the wiki editing of +8000 pages, I
guess all you hear is criticism just as I do, and people just tends to
forget we are not OWASP staff, we are volunteers)

I think is time that, from the operational management point of view, to
revise all these actions and have a very serious talk about this.

   - Are they sustainable only volunteer based?
   - What has the experience shown?
   - Why does owasp lack volunteers to help on these tasks?
   - Is the workload to big to expect volunteers to do this?
   - Is this a community that has not time to do this kind of work?
   - Do they actually want to do these kind of tasks?

Volunteers are volunteers, they are not workforce nor can you expect the
same output.You cannot expect anything from them.

A volunteer must feel he gains something back for giving his time. If there
is no exchange on this part, if he does not feel valued or that his work
matters,  or enjoys what he does, then , I think , volunteer work stops.
For me , it must have a meaning, that what I do , matters.

Whatever the reason , the effect is, volunteered based initiatives as wiki,
reviews and possibly Bounty program, does not seem to work.

We should evaluate this before we keep bringing systems that cannot be
volunteered-based sustained.

Cheers

Johanna

--