[Owasp-board] ACTION REQUESTED: 2017 Roles / Executive Director (8) Applicants

Tom Brennan tomb at owasp.org
Tue Dec 20 17:44:41 UTC 2016

Hi Bill,

I was simply proposing a Q1 face to face to get everyone on the same page
and kick off 2017 on the same sheet of music (there are some very important
things out of alignment at this time) and also in Q3.  I do not feel that
these need to be aligned with AppSec conferences as they have there own
value but for a different purpose and I would rather recommend a OWASP
event in the community then RSA as example in Feb..

The purpose of the board meeting is to get the alignment of the elected
board members on the same page so not to waste efforts and time with things
of insignificance to the mission.. It is common to have quarterly board
meetings to measure performance of the business listen to achievements and
set new directives for the next business quarter in addition to any
project, chapter etc. activities that are  on the individuals plate.
Virtual participation can be accommodated if needed to do that..* but
nothing replaces face to face discussion I think you would agree.*

The elected Board has a obligation to drive the 2 million dollar
professional association forward (annual report is coming....)  and to the
membership it represents to perform certain functions example
https://docs.google.com/document/d/10zBT6oY2Q3B6kr6r7DGl3Cc0f5rGmQ0Slc6RYvbxmus/edit
<https://docs.google.com/document/d/10zBT6oY2Q3B6kr6r7DGl3Cc0f5rGmQ0Slc6RYvbxmus/edit>
this
fine example was created in 2013 and outlines the responsibilities.

We track attendance of the meetings see
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/u/1/d/1wpaOCBP-qrnde0sLiglDMJOUCtse6oB-zf3ONCkWgZk/edit
but
why bother if it is not important to comply with 3.03 of the Bylaws.
Having historical continuity is important at a organization see:
https://www.owasp.org/index.php/OWASP_Board_History as well as updated
records to reflect on as example:
https://www.owasp.org/index.php/OWASP_Board_Votes
<https://www.owasp.org/index.php/OWASP_Board_Votes>  so we can always
reflect on the past actions.

Thanks for your input on this thread.  I await a second to the motion and a
vote by email of the board members on this topic.

--
Tom Brennan
973-202-0122