[Owasp-board] 50K seed fund request (WAS: UPDATE FOR 14-DEC board meeting (WAS: input for Board meeting tomorrow 30-Nov - 150K seed fund request for summit 2017)
tiffany.long at owasp.org
Fri Dec 16 00:15:03 UTC 2016
The whole meeting can be heard here:
https://www.owasp.org/index.php/December_14,_2016. The conversation starts
at 1.30.00, but there might be some stuff during the earlier budget
On Thu, Dec 15, 2016 at 5:32 AM, Josh Sokol <josh.sokol at owasp.org> wrote:
> The short answer is that the request for funds was not approved. The
> board is happy to see the OWASP Foundation funds being used to support
> OWASP projects, but we do not believe that putting up the seed money for a
> for-profit company is a wise investment on OWASP's part. There were also
> concerns about on the budget side of things, whether this event would be
> sustainable over the long-term, and the date is very close to our AppSecEU
> conference. We barely had quorum at the meeting, but it was a unanimous
> "no" vote. Instead, we would like to encourage this team to work with
> Laura to put together an outstanding Project Summit on behalf of the OWASP
> This is my recollection from the Board meeting. The recording should be
> available today, if it isn't already. Sorry to be the bearer of bad news,
> but I know that you wanted to get the results as quickly as possible.
> On Thu, Dec 15, 2016 at 12:17 AM, Seba <seba at owasp.org> wrote:
>> Dear all,
>> what was the outcome of this topic on the board meeting?
>> kind regards,
>> On Mon, Dec 12, 2016 at 6:54 PM Seba <seba at owasp.org> wrote:
>>> Dear all,
>>> We decided on the summit dates: 12-19 June 2016.
>>> And found a really good venue in the UK.
>>> We updated the budget with the information from the latest venue quote.
>>> SHORT Version: *we lowered the requested seed fund to 50.000 USD and
>>> include the full repayment of the seed fund in the budget.*
>>> <https://github.com/OWASP/owasp-devseccon-summit/blob/master/Logistics/FundRequest.md> *is
>>> updated as well (with the link to the detailed budget).
>>> DETAILS of the updated budget:
>>> We took into account the estimated number of attendees and 24h / day
>>> delegate split (60% - 40%).
>>> My assumption is that everybody comes/pays for the 5 days.
>>> 24h tickets are 992 USD for 5 days
>>> day tickets are 285 USD for 5 days
>>> people have to pay/arrange their own travel (less logistics for us).
>>> We also assume we will get help from owasp staff, so I lowered the Org
>>> team cost.
>>> We currently have 17500 USD in donations. (not counting the project
>>> summit budget which logically would be transferred to this summit).
>>> We lowered the estimated donations from chapters/projects to 40.000.
>>> The total expected spend on the venue will be about 151081.6 USD.
>>> This means *we need at least 45324.48 USD (30%) to reserve the venue
>>> within 2 weeks*.
>>> *So we lowered the requested seed fund to 50.000 and include the
>>> repayment of the seed fund in the budget.*
>>> We think the updated budget is realistic.
>>> By having the majority of the people pay their own ticket, the summit
>>> should easily break even (or maybe have a surplus as seed fund for next
>>> Once we get the seed fund and reserve the venue we should start the
>>> registrations asap.
>>> To cover the 30% reservation fee, we must sell *at least 46* 24h-tickets
>>> 10 weeks before the summit (3-APRIL).
>>> We have done the whole budgeting in USD.
>>> To eliminate currency risk (high) I propose we charge the tickets in GBP
>>> by wire (we have a GBP account in our Europe account).
>>> As stated before - I will not be able to join the call because of the
>>> timing (midnight for me).
>>> But feel free to call/connect to us beforehand (I can be reached on +32
>>> 478 504 117 - CET timezone).
>>> Looking forward to a positive response and seeing you all in June for
>>> our next Summit!
>>> Thank you,
>>> Kind regards,
>>> Seba, Dinis, Francois
>>> On Tue, Dec 6, 2016 at 8:22 AM Seba <seba at owasp.org> wrote:
>>> As the board meeting on 30-Nov was cancelled, I added this to the 14-dec
>>> board meeting as topic.
>>> 1) We really would like to have any *questions or concerns raised
>>> during the coming days?*
>>> We can then use the remaining days prior to the board call to respond to
>>> your questions and hopefully have your approval on the Dec 14th.
>>> 2) Can the timing of the board meeting be put somewhat earlier to make
>>> it more European time-zone friendly (and maybe put this early in the
>>> agenda)? We can then participate during the call.
>>> We see a lot of interest and enthusiasm from people that want to
>>> participate from inside and outside our community.
>>> Check out the list of 70+ people here http://doodle.com/poll/e8d4p95
>>> You should probably also add the dates you could make it?
>>> Kind regards,
>>> On Mon, Nov 28, 2016 at 8:58 PM Seba <seba at owasp.org> wrote:
>>> hi Board,
>>> We have prepared extra information and our first draft budget (being
>>> reviewed by Laura/Andrew) here (and beow)-
>>> The timing does not allow me to participate in the call (midnight for
>>> CET timezone).
>>> You can contact us for any further questions or remarks.
>>> Hoping for an approval to push the summit forward and keep our momentum
>>> Kind regards
>>> Our draft budget is available here: https://github.com/OWASP
>>> summit-budget.xlsx We will further refine and improve this together
>>> with Laura and Andrew in the coming days.
>>> We already submitted the summit in OCMS. Which is being followed-up by
>>> the OWASP staff.
>>> Next week we will have the summit week decided (probably in June 2017)
>>> and we are currently visiting and talking with multiple venues.
>>> As soon as we have the final timing we will contract the venue together
>>> with Laura, Matt and Andrew.
>>> Let's be clear: we do not ask for 150 as a sunk cost or as a blank
>>> cheque. We will tap into several sources of income to organize this
>>> 1. people coming to the summit will be asked to cover their own
>>> travel/accommodation. We will only sponsor invited people that do not have
>>> support from their own organisation.
>>> 2. we will ask the participating projects for seed funds: e.g. SAMM
>>> already donated 10.000 USD
>>> 3. we will ask chapters to sponsor the summit with the budget they
>>> have available (potentially 750K+ USD)
>>> 4. we will create sponsor packages for our regular OWASP sponsors to
>>> support this summit
>>> We do not expect that we will be making a profit, and that is not our
>>> goal. But we will definitely want to break-even with the above sources of
>>> income (like we already did with the SAMM summits in previous years). We
>>> see the 150K seed fund as our "starting capital" to assure that we can book
>>> the venue and start the logistics. And, of course, we will involve you and
>>> the staff on any major steps that would impact the financial bottom-line.
>>> do we get out of this, or what is our "ROI"?
>>> It all starts with getting the right people together working on the
>>> right content. So our main goal is to organize workshops, sessions &
>>> sprints at the summit driven by both DevOps and AppSec people & principles.
>>> The first list and (active) collaboration is already starting here:
>>> Our objective is to make a big impact and productivity boost on our
>>> projects and community by getting the main DevOps and AppSec people in one
>>> venue for 5 days 24/7 in "summit-mode". We are getting very positive
>>> feedback and people that indicated that they will come (see the Doodle here
>>> The Summit success will be measured by the impact we will make with our
>>> summit deliverables and the impact on OWASP projects & the community.
>>> Seba, Dinis, Francois 27-Nov-2016
> Owasp-board mailing list
> Owasp-board at lists.owasp.org
-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
More information about the Owasp-board